welcome

Twilight zone

The buzz on campus is over the two students who died recently, especially the death of April Love, the 20 year-old junior who was highly active in campus organizations. For some reason her death has affected me more than expected. I didn't know her, but the fact that she was a female, political science major living off campus strikes a nerve within me. She was allegedly murdered by her ex-boyfriend last week at her apartment. This makes my hairs on my neck stand up. Murdered? Such a gruesome thing. I can't get over her being murdered. Its strange to say that I'm accustomed to the means of most deaths that happen on campus such as drunk driving accidents, drugs, etc. But that someone was murdered hits too close to home for me.

I've been thinking to myself what must possess someone to murder another person that they know so well. What kind of situation drives one to this point? To take the life of another, to determine for oneself that this other person should be robbed of life, I think it to be the most selfish act a person can commit.

Megan told me that this is the sixth death of a university student since 1988. Is that a lot? I'm having a difficult time determining if it is or not. It feels like the twilight zone.

1 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Elise said...

When I was in college (back in the day), one of my classmates was murdered, too. She and I were in several classes together and a professional organization. I just kept thinking, "What would I do if someone attacked me? Why couldn't she fight back?" I would replay what I thought happened and try to figure out at what point she could have made a different decision to keep herself safe. I would lay in bed at night and think about how fast I could pick up my phone and dial 911. It was very weird.

It was also very humbling as I realized that any of us could be capable of murder, that we all have the sinful capacity to do such a horrible thing.

The guy that murdered Nancy killed her over her car. He was probably mentally ill, too, but to kill someone over a car. . .that's disturbing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

! *g* 
a lover of *jesus *political science *children *t.betans *painting *literature *music *knowledge *humor *piano *art *community
! friends 
  • argos
  • chris & evie
  • eric
  • harkeys
  • james
  • john
  • jones 2 ethne
  • kekexili
  • kristen
  • lafe
  • meredith
  • njrokpa
  • polly
  • rockstar jones
  • shelli
  • stegers
  • stephen
  • stu
  • whit
  • ! endeavors 
  • chinesepod
  • engrish
  • fayetteville public library
  • the grove
  • the grove kids
  • mcsweeneys
  • national public radio
  • settlers of catan
  • sojourners
  • thinkgeek
  • tibetan connections
  • valentino achak deng
  • !music.art.design;
  • 7136
  • aargo
  • andy cogbill
  • brett harkey photography
  • eastcreek studios
  • haguewood photography
  • lawrence.com
  • steve lee
  • studio 6
  • ! archives;
     
    Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com
    Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com